I have heard people mention about bloat and never really knew about it. So I pass this on as it is good information.
Originally posted on dogdaz:
Symptoms of bloat include:
- hard, swollen abdomen that may make a hollow sound if tapped
- retching that produces no vomit OR produces foamy, white vomit
- drooling/salivating excessively
- stiff-legged walk
If your dog shows signs of having bloat, call your vet IMMEDIATELY. Every second counts. Bloat is extremely painful and without quick veterinary intervention your dog will probably not survive.
Check out this video of an akita in the middle to late stages of bloat.
Check out this article on what bloat is, the varieties of bloat, its symptoms, and the typical treatment plans.
The best predictor of a dog’s chances of getting bloat are its relatives. If your dogs family has had bloat, your dog is at an increased risk. Other risk factors include:
- deep, narrow chested dogs
- feeding to soon before or after exercising
- raised feeding bowls
- gulping food/eating too quickly
View original 66 more words